A positive and pragmatic approach to child development
At the Jadis Blurton Family Development Center (BFDC), we value every child as an individual and believe in their ability to reach their potential. Our caring and accomplished multi-disciplinary team of psychologists and education experts have both the compassion and pragmatism to ensure that the children and families we work with are equipped with the tools to live happy, healthy and productive lives.
Through exceptional psycho-educational assessments, counselling and innovative developmental interventions, we find fulfillment and a sense of community in advocating for those who face social, emotional and learning challenges.
Founded in 1996 by Dr. Jadis Blurton, an expert in educational psychology and child development, the BFDC benefits from her 30 years of professional experience, her personal insights as a parent of six in a blended family and her vision and commitment to providing quality mental health support, educational services and resources to the children of Hong Kong and Asia.
We operate in strict compliance with the ethical principles prescribed by the Hong Kong Psychological Society (HKPS) and the American Psychological Association (APA).
Our mission is to help our clients lead rich and genuinely satisfying lives through self-discovery, empowerment, and hope for the future. We work with our community in mind; actively engaging families, schools, and community stakeholders to help us make a difference. We are proud to have set the standard for mental healthcare in Hong Kong for 20 years.
Our vision is a world of happy, healthy, and productive children.
- Follow and apply evidence-based best-practice approaches to treatment
- Deliver the best of our multi-disciplinary team to the client
- Uphold the highest ethical standards
- Believe in the fullest realization of what each person is capable of and help to fulfill our clients’ aspirations.
- Consider the impact we do have and the impact we can have on each person’s life.
- Nurture confidence
- Pursue substantial, long-lasting, and pervasive benefits for our clients.
- Build client capabilities so that they will be able to help themselves.
- Understand the client as an individual.
- Use care and candor in everything we do.
- Speak and write with awareness of your audience.
- Simplify domain-specific language where appropriate.
- Stay mindful of the power and permanence of language.
- Be engaging.
- Study communication in order to have an impact.
- Keep a growth mindset.
- Codify our knowledge so that we increase our organizational IQ.
- Listen to our community.
We recognize the fact that those in severe need of psychological services do not always have the money to pay for them. Our therapists take on pro bono cases if there is a need that can be helped. To make us aware of an opportunity to help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Jadis Blurton, was the 2009 recipient of the American Chamber of Commerce’s Ira Dan Kaye Award, given annually to one individual or organization for significant contribution to the community of Hong Kong. In 2017, she was a nominee for the Social Enterprise Research Institute's Social Caring Youth Leadership Award. She is also the Board Chairperson for The Children’s Institute (a center for autistic children) and serves on the Board of The Harbour School.